Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Chiropractors: Skeptic or Believer???

Dean and I come from a very medical family. My sister is a nurse, and now runs the NICU at the local hospital. Dean has 2 sisters who were oncology nurses, and a brother-in-law who is a podiatrist. We are firm believers in the medical advances that have been made and the great care that comes from medical doctors.

But we have always been curious about the natural care given by chiropractors (against my family's better wishes!) We even spent a time under chiropractic care when Elle was 1 1/2 and I was pregnant with Jack in hopes of curing Elle's ear infections and taking away my pregnancy back pain. Eventually, the cost was just too high and we had to quit our appointments. Many insurances don't view chiropractic care as "valid medical care" and they won't cover any of the cost.

Today, my eyes have been officially opened to the real validity of such care....so let me tell you a little story....

About 4 months ago, my neck went out. Badly. I couldn't even turn my head. Dean called some friends of ours from church who own a chiropractic business and I found myself being adjusted the next day. A few days later, Elle was complaining of yet another ear ache, and instead of bringing her to her pediatrician for more anti-biotics, I went to take her to see Dr. Baker, a pediatric chiropractor. Dr. Baker checked her ears, but more importantly, noticed one of Elle's shoulders was higher than the other. This lead us to the Xray room where we found out that my little 5 year old was already showing signs of scoliosis! Her little spine was already quite visibly curved. Holding back the tears with a huge lump in my throat, I vowed that we would do whatever it takes to cure her of this before she reached the age of back braces and surgery.

Twice a week, then once a week...we made our appointments for Elle's adjustments. Three months later, we took new Xrays of her back. The proof is in the pudding, people. HER SPINE IS STRAIGHT! I couldn't believe my eyes. All those little clicks on her back, which truthfully seemed like it was doing nothing, moved her spine back into place!! She will need adjustments her whole life to maintain this genetic disposition, but those adjustments will be once a month, or even once every 3 months. Surely beats back braces and surgery!!!

When I think of how bad this could have gotten had we not had her checked out, I am just so thankful to God that my neck went out that day or we never would have started our chiropractic journey once again. I wish I could post the before and after pics of her Xrays. You wouldn't believe your eyes either!!

(side note: Dean's Wausau insurance DOES cover some of this care. Thank you, God!)

5 comments:

Joel said...

Yeah - firm believers around here. I was raised on it! Dr. Hendon has helped Joel with ear pain, foot pain, me with hip and back pain...I went in one day while pregnant with Aidan in tears - in fact I could hardly walk my hip hurt me so bad Joel had to about carry me in - I walked out in tears of joy, pain free and able to walk on my own.
Little LeeLee is so fat her spine gets so out of wack and she gets little tummy aches - Dr. Hendon keeps her in check - I could go on and on.
I know medicine has made great advances but to me common sense says start with the spine that holds the nerves that connect to the problem you are having...
PS - this is Ang, not Joel

Joel said...

oh yeah - PRAISE GOD!

Joel said...

Didn't mean to be so flippant about modern medicine...clearly it's needed for things like SVT - something that can not in any way be helped by eating extremely healthy or getting your back cracked but SO MANY things can be helped by starting with those two things first - it is a shame more people don't look to those first before a pill or surgery.

diane said...

Sarah that is so Cool!
I went to a Chiropractor for 2 years, but the Dr. himself got on my nerves...secretly I went for the one hour massage that went along with my adjustment.

Oh How I miss that!

Unknown said...

Really appreciable blog. Your blog is very much impressive. I am surely following ur blog.
chiropractor west st paul