Saturday, May 17, 2008

Lost and Found

Seven years ago, I lost something. This weekend, I found it again.

What is that, you ask?? It's the part of me I didn't know I missed. It's the part of me known as "Mrs. Nienhuis". It's the part of me that loves to have colleagues. It's the part of me that loves to be creative. It's the part of me that loves children. It's the teacher in me.

I am seeking my WI teacher's license, and to obtain that, I must complete 6 post-grad credits of anything pertaining to education from a state approved school. My friend, Beth, is also seeking her license renewal, so we made a girl's weekend out of a trip to Green Bay to attend a class called "Cultivating Creativity in your Classroom". We picked it because it required no homework, and sounded like fun. (OK, we wanted a blow-off class, I admit it)

Well, the class was easy and fun, but I didn't know I'd come away feeling like I did. It really made me realize how much I love to create fun ways to teach music to my students. I was forced to remember some of the creative lessons I used to teach, and it saddened me how difficult it was to think of what they were. It made me really really miss my teacher friends, and caused me to remember how much I loved being friends with fellow teachers and how fun we are to be around :o) Students would never guess how much fun teachers have together!

Now don't get me wrong. Going back to work freaks me out a little. When I taught last, I had a one year old. Now I have 3 children with many responsibilities and activities. Me teaching again creates a whole new crink in our little famliy cycle. But it is a part of me and it makes me feel like I am an adult again. You know the kind...one who thinks intellectually and makes money :o) A year ago, I would have told you I wasn't ready to go back to work. Today, I can tell you that I am getting more ready everyday. And I'm quite excited about it.

1 comment:

Becky said...

So glad you had a great time in Green Bay. We missed you at Julie nd Sharon's party. So good to see them and remember how much we learned in the midst of working our tails off.