Friday, July 17, 2009

Birthdays




Birthdays are so bittersweet.

Sweet: It's the most incredible experience to watch your child grow into the person they are to become.

Bitter: Every year older is every year further away from what they used to be.

And it's because we love our children at every stage they are in that we are sad to see them leave it behind with only pics and vids to remember their bubbly faces and funny words. And it's because we love our children at every stage they are in that it is exciting to see them grow and flourish and learn new things. Birthdays.

My children have all now celebrated their 2009 birthdays. Sam is 9. ugh. We told him he's not allowed to go past 10. He still cuddles with me on the couch. He still tells me he loves me. He still holds my hand in public. Please let that never end. Elle just turned 7. SEVEN! Her independence is growing, right along with her sense of fashion. Please don't turn 16 too quickly. And Jack is 5 1/2. He's entering kindergarten in the fall. I hate that. He's my side-kick. But no longer. School is coming, along with a new job for me. Changes are everywhere and I can't stop them from happening.

Time to embrace the new normal.

No comments: