Thursday, June 25, 2009

A Sprinkling of Summer (thus far)









Now that summer has finally decided to show up, the summer activities have begun! Here is the latest rundown of stuff that should have been blogged about and haven't been yet:

1) I should explain the gruesome pic first. Yes, that is my head. Yes, those are staples you see. Yes, it is Dean's fault. He was hanging up his new kayak in the garage and having me help him. Needless to say, while screwing the bracket in the ceiling, he missed the stud completely. So when he was raising the kayak up to the ceiling, the weight of the kayak pulled the bracket out of the ceiling and right onto my head! Tears, Blood, and a trip to the ER followed. Oh, and then a trip to Pier One too :o)

2. I've already mentioned the kayak. Dean's new favorite summer sport is kayaking. He'd gone out a couple of times with friends and borrowed a kayak everytime. He loved it so much he had to get one for himself. We have rivers all over here, and just like skiing in the winter, it's foolish not to take part in all our town has to offer! SO.. kayaking in the summer it is. In the pic with Dean and Sam, they borrowed a kayak and went together for the first time. Sam was a natural. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure my time is coming.

3. I finally got a new oven/microwave!! Thanks to the military discounts given over Memorial Day Weekend, we were able to replace the old, crusty, "only 3 burners worked and the numbers on the clock "flipover" OVEN with a new one. Heavenly.

4. The kids have been loving the warm weather with trips to the pool, a free trip to the Dells, and the slip 'n slide.

5. I got a job! In May, I interviewed for a part-time elementary music teaching position in the kids' school district and they chose me! It's such a blessing in this economy, and I am looking forward to feeling "professional" again. The great thing is that the kids will barely miss me as we will all get home from school/work at the same time. I think subbing last year really helped prepare me mentally for this transition. It's going to be tough, but it is still a blessing for our family.

2 comments:

The Williams in Africa said...

Love your new appliances. And your new job. And I think I want to try kayaking next year!

Parisienne Farmgirl said...

I think a trip to PARIS was more in order. Hope you got some new fun glasses or something. I know how much you love trips to Pier One for new goodies - you probably planned the whole thing. Put old batteries in the studfinder or something.
LOL.
Really though - after Don's head injury last year I am very grateful you are OK!!!

I love kayaking. I am so jealous. That is my dream to have one.